Experience the difference of "Elite".

The Right Insurance for Your Short-Term Rental Property

  • Published on

A Comprehensive Guide To Short-Term Rental Insurance Coverage

The right type of insurance for a short-term rental property can be determined by looking at deductibles, additional coverage options, and policy exclusions.

Owning a short-term rental property can be a great investment opportunity, but it also comes with inherent risks and challenges. As a vacation rental owner, selecting the right insurance coverage is essential to protect your investment property and financial security. While traditional homeowner’s insurance is important, it has its limitations regarding coverage for rental properties.

In this guide, we’ll explore some of the limitations of homeowner’s insurance policies and discuss rental property insurance options that you should consider to safeguard your investment.

Limitations of Traditional Home Insurance for Short-Term Rental Properties

While lenders often require homeowner’s insurance to obtain a mortgage, these policies lack sufficient coverage for short-term rental properties. Therefore, investment property owners must consult their insurance providers to understand their policies’ specific limitations and make informed decisions about additional insurance options.

Consider these common limitations and exclusions of traditional homeowners insurance:

Business activity exclusion

Many homeowner’s insurance policies exclude coverage for business activities, including short-term rentals. So, if the insurance company determines that the property owner is operating a business by frequently renting out the property, the policy may deny coverage.

Liability coverage limitations

If a renter is injured on the property or causes damage to another person’s property, you may not be covered under a standard homeowner’s insurance policy.

Loss of rental income

Home insurance policies do not provide coverage for loss of rental income if the property becomes uninhabitable due to a covered loss like a fire or a natural disaster.

Non-owner occupied exclusion

Homeowners insurance covers single-family homes meaning it typically only covers damages or provides liability coverage for personal property usage. If the insurance company determines the property is not the owner’s primary residence, the policy may not provide coverage in the event of a claim.

Relying on standard home insurance to cover your rental home can have severe legal and financial consequences. In the event of property damage, you may be responsible for covering the replacement cost out of pocket, as well as any associated medical expenses for injured parties. Property owners may also be liable for lost rental income during the repair process.

In some cases, owners may also face legal action and be held responsible for paying costly legal fees. Therefore, it’s crucial for rental property owners to obtain the right insurance coverage to protect themselves and their vacation homes from these potential financial burdens.

Consider These Rental Property Insurance Policies

There are several rental property insurance policies that you should consider when selecting the right coverage for you and your property. These policies can cover a range of potential liabilities and help you recover from any possible damages or losses.

Landlord Insurance

Landlord insurance covers property damage and offers liability protection for short-term rental owners. These policies typically include dwelling coverage which covers damage to the building itself, including walls, roof, floors, and foundation. This coverage can help pay for repairs or rebuilding in the event of damage caused by covered perils like fires, hail, and wind.

Policies typically also cover personal belongings owned by the landlord, including appliances, tools, lawnmowers, and more. However, it is important to note that these policies do not typically cover personal items belonging to the tenant.

Landlord insurance policies may also cover other buildings on the rental property, such as garages, sheds, and other detached structures. Be sure to review policy options to understand coverage limitations and exclusions related to these structures.

Short-Term Rental Property Insurance

Short-term rental property insurance covers the unique risks and liabilities associated with renting out a property on a short-term basis, including damage caused by guests, loss of rent due to cancellations, and liability claims resulting from injuries and accidents on the property.

Like landlord insurance, these policies may also offer coverage for personal belongings, equipment used to run the rental, and other buildings on the premises.

These policies are particularly beneficial for short-term rentals as they typically offer higher coverage limits and broader protection to reflect the higher risk associated with this type of rental activity.

Extras Like Flood Insurance

You may also want to consider additional coverage options, including protection against theft, natural disasters, or vandalism, to help fill any coverage gaps in your rental insurance policy.

How to Select the Right Insurance Policy for Your Rental Property

Finding the right insurance for a short-term rental property requires careful consideration and research. Here are some steps you can take to help you find the right insurance policy for your short-term rental property:

Shop around for insurance quotes

Getting quotes from several insurance companies to compare coverage options and pricing is a good idea.

Review the policy terms and conditions

Ensure you carefully read the policy exclusions to ensure you’re aware of any limitations or restrictions on coverage. For example, most policies will exclude tenant personal property coverage as that is typically covered under traditional renter’s insurance.

Consider the policy deductible

The deductible represents the amount you’ll need to pay out of pocket before the insurance coverage kicks in, and it can significantly impact the overall insurance cost.

Work with an experienced insurance agent

An experienced insurance agent can help you understand the different policy options and help you find the right coverage for your short-term rental property.

Remember, insurance is vital to safeguarding your short-term rental property and financial security. Take the time to do your research and find the right coverage for your needs.

Exceptional Short-Term Rental Insurance is Integrated into OwnerRez

Learn more about insurance integrations with OwnerRez. Along with making it easy to rent your property, we help you get the right short-term rental property insurance. If you have any further questions about insurance, or want to learn more about any of the OwnerRez features and integrations, contact our team today.